AN INVITATION TO CONTINUOUS SELF-DISRUPTION
Effective coping with disruption in our exponentially changing times requires self-leadership agility and the ability to be comfortable with the uncomfortable. Disruption can be like a wake-up call to full alertness and more awareness.
Disruption Brings Forth New Leadership Qualities
The highly volatile environment is pushing us out of our comfort zone. Thus new competences are needed for coping successfully with exponential disruptive change. Open-mindedness, clarity, courage, and agility are key for adjusting or reversing the focus, when facing overwhelming challenges. Simplifying is essential to bring what needs attention to the foreground. With an open mindset, we are ready to embrace what is – to connect with ourselves, including noticing our emotions and being better able to manage the impact they have on us for conscious self-leadership and leading others.
Mindset is powerful:
- Stay connected with your purpose and the ‘magic of your essence’ to feel the pull
- Understand your priorities to focus only on what is important
- Listen to hear what others are contributing to gain new insights
- Adopt and integrate your learnings to progress
- Close what you want to let go and accept the loss that comes with choice to move on
- Take courageous decisions and be prepared to move forward step-by-step
Volatile Change Prompts Renewal and Awakens Creativity & Equanimity
Reconnecting with your own passion is like re-charging the batteries and enabling a process of updating, reinventing and realigning the Self. It is like installing a new operating system that is compatible with current demands - activating our resourcefulness by enabling new strengths while using them in genius new ways. This process is energizing and inspiring and allows us to experience a state of Equanimity.
Equanimity is a strong, calm presence, a serenity that comes from within. With practice we can go to that place of peace faster. We get back quicker into our productive mode, ready to engage with the people and world around us with clarity, empowered and committed.
Being Resourceful in the Eye of the Storm
Individuals who are self-aware have the audacity to self-interrupt and self-disrupt themselves to create a jumping board for launching the next phase of self-development. Self-leadership is a continuous process of renewal and growth. Maintaining the status quo is not an option. Everything is in motion and requires a process of adaptation - by discarding, modifying and adding to stay effective sustainably.
Mobilize your Inner Strength and Serenity when Feeling Pressure of Disruption:
- Breath deeply to create calm presence and time to reflect (in the moment)
- Notice and name your feelings. Observe your reactions (under pressure)
- Appreciate and embrace what is there (regularly)
- Focus on listening to yourself/others without being hijacked by feelings or emotions (always)
- Decide - make an aware choice from options and backups you have (in time)
SUSTAINABILITY AS THE NEW CURRENCY FOR COPING WITH DISRUPTION
Disruption allows us each time to reconnect with our intentionality, to be fresh creators of our own destiny, whileopening new opportunities with our key stakeholders in the process. We recognize that we have different choices and we become aware that we want to make them mindfully and in time. This is our ultimate freedom. With every choice there is a loss - a closure and a new beginning. In this way, we are all pioneers of our lives in a co-creative, emergent process.
Create Winning Sparring Partner Relationship(s):
- Stay connected and honest with yourself and each other
- Dialogue continuously with your key stakeholder(s)
- Agree on joint goals
- Understand and respect mutual expectations, including boundaries
- Grow together through timely feedback and feed forward conversations
Be smart about knowing when to go fast and when to slow down. Allow yourself time to re-charge, take time to re-connect regularly with your purpose, goals and intentions. This is about the being and the doing for long lasting success.
MY ENCOURAGEMENT FOR BEFRIENDING DISRUPTION
Self-disruption is the realization that maintaining the status quo is not an option.
Positive coping with disruption is about embracing the disruption fully and to actively self-disrupt courageously to constantly renew and innovate our way and joy of being and believing. Thus, a life commitment to learn faster than the change happens around us.
Key Messages on Coping with Disruptions:
- Accept disruptions as the new normal in an agile world
- Determine your own pace with speeding up and slowing down your (re) actions
- Create space and time to see the presenting opportunities in the changes
- Connect with sparring partners to more clearly see and better leverage your strengths
- Stay tuned in with your vision and dreams to stay on track and to make the journey meaningful & enjoyable